How to Travel Solo as a Single Woman


Being a 31 year old single woman born and raised in the United States, I have heard more than enough stories of how unsafe it is for women to travel and that in doing so bad things would happen. How could a woman possible leave the comforts of home without knowing a soul, and know that she would be okay?


Not sure what I would find, I set to searching the internet for first hand stories of travelers- from Women who had braved it and did it well. I was tired of feeding into the same old tales and folklore of taboo travel (while still understanding and respecting that bad things DO happen to good people as well). What I found on the internet surprised and delighted me! Story after story of positive experiences from women from all over the world who had chosen to travel solo. 


I made note of the places they traveled, little secrets of the trade they take with them, the attitude they had to adopt.... I soaked it all in. But truth be told... there wasn't much of a difference. Most just cautioned "trust your insticts" "be wise" "don't put yourself in bad situations." It all seemed easy enough for me.


So I decided to "take the leap" and Do it! I planned to travel alone for 4 months (for myself and those around me...that was a BIG thing! Come to find out that many people from different countries do a minimum of 4 months if not 6, 9, 12, 24 months!) 


Before leaving I did pick up a couple of "precautionary" items. A doorstop (to secure a door closed), a whistle (to wear around my neck if out late at night), a headlamp (again for nighttime vision if needed.) In traveling for over 4 months I have not once had to use any of those items. I have felt completely safe (even in staying in the homes of men.) By finding the right resources, trusting my instincts, being aware of my surroundings and making my intentions clear,  I have felt 100% safe in my travels.
Some personal rules I live by:
No staying out after 12am (unless with a group of people I "know")
No sleeping around
No Drinking alcohol
No Doing drugs

I met Many wonderful people I would not have met if I was traveling with others.
I became good friends with myself and learned to trust myself.
I learned to trust others.
I came to understand the difference between being alone and being lonely.
I opened myself up to love and being loved.
I integrated with cultures and felt less like a tourist.
I left behind fear and found that in doing so it inspired some of my friends and family to do the same.
I saw many wonderful sites, ate delicious and interesting foods, prayed with different religions, danced cultural dances, and felt like I was truly LIVING!



Top 5 suggestions for Solo Travelers:

1. Leave Fear behind. Renew your hope in the world by letting go of judgments and just LIVE!
2. Make sure to have some sort of way to know exactly where you are at (whether internet map, handheld map, local guide..)
3. Be willing to live frugally  (but be prepared to spend money if you ever feel uncomfortable in a situation.)
4. Put aside judgments of what is "Better" in life. Be willing to experience new cultures, new foods, new experiences. You may just find out you don't have "all the right answers" - and that is okay!
5. Talk to people. Make new friends. Go out of your way to be kind. Then watch what blessings unfold. You never know who is going to influence your life. If nothing else... you will get a good story from it! 



Those four months of  "solo" travel (Spain, Portugal, France, Morocco, Israel and Jordan) were some of the absolute best months of my entire life! Even though I didn't have a paycheck for 4 months... I feel "Richer" now than I have ever been.  Travel has the ability to do that to a person.
If you feel that desire to travel....I say Do it!

Now...........Plan and GO!!!!!


Watch for upcoming Posts on Couch Surfing and Work Away as well as other tools I used during my travels.




Comments

Nannette said…
Luv it. You are a inspiration