Madrid Spain- The Dream Begins....

Madrid- the Capital of the great Spanish Empire. 
It is the 3rd largest city in the EU with roughly 
6.5 million people. 
It is a city that has become a large melting pot. 







It is also the city where my Adventure Began. 

As a 31 year old single woman who, in a two month time frame, decided and made it possible to take 4 months away from "life" and truly "live." I rented my home, car, took a sabbatical from work, made some plans, jumped on a plane and arrived in Madrid full of anticipation to do what I have always dreamed of doing.

I had one 22" roller luggage and a backpack and I had just enough knowledge of the Spanish language to keep me out of trouble (and just enough to get me into trouble as well.)

I walked off the shuttle into the heart of a very LARGE Gay Pride Parade. Thousands of people were crammed in the streets many of whom were "dressed for the occasion." It was a Colorful way to be welcomed to my new "home." :)



I was a little nervous to meet my first Couchsurfing host since he was a single male. (I normally do not stay in the homes of people I don't know... let alone in the homes of men I do not know.)  I met up with him and the other guest that was staying at his apartment during that time as well. All three of us instantly hit it off famously. We all have a passion for travel and found that it brought us together and allowed us to share the joy we have found in the adventure. He acted as the perfect host and guide for his city (his English was fantastic so no Spanish practice for me.) 

He treated us extremely well, giving me the large bedroom to myself as well as preparing a plentiful breakfast spread each morning before he left for work. 
I had never witnessed such giving hospitality without any expectations in return. I was beginning to realize that through my experiences at home as a host  as well as my first time being a guest with someone else...there is a lot of goodness in this world if we just reach out to access it. 

We toured the city, ate fun (ham) Spanish food, and laughed and shared of our experiences in life. I did end up with some pretty gnarly blisters from all of the walking (I walked a lot) but it was absolutely worth it!



Madrid is an Eclectic City. I was most impressed with the Variety and beauty of the  Architecture, the ease of the Metro System, and the fact that although it is a huge city, it did not feel that way. 



Insider Info:



~ If Couchsurfing isn't your thing, I stayed at a Hostel in Madrid as well that was a lot of fun. I met some great friends there (although I had some interesting experiences with who ended up in my rooms.) Many Hostels organize tours and fun things to do. A great way to get involved and do fun things (although much of the culture is based off drinking. If that is not your scene (it's not mine) you may need to look for other alternatives.) 


Madrid Top 5*

Self guided walk- Eclectic Buildings. Most are an easy walking distance if you can dedicate a few hours to the task. 


El Retiro Park- A beautiful park located near the Prado Museum, and Cibeles Palace and Fountain. I went back multiple times to enjoy the serenity, beautiful fountains, crystal palace and the lush green landscape.

The Royal Palace- One of the most impressive Palaces. It is located next to the great Cathedral as well. Worth a visit to see the Grandeur! 

The Grand Via- The variety of Architecture and the buzz of the people on the street make this a delightful stroll. 

Cibeles Palace and Fountain- Stunning White building. A must see during the day as well as lit up by night. Located by El Retiro Park at the end of The Grand Via.









*Note: I am a person that is intrigued by Architecture, Culture of the people and making new friends. Not so much about being entertained. And... I was on a bit of a budget. 


A couple of preplanning items that helped me:

I was packing a Rick Steves' Guidebook to Spain, which helped me learn a few of the tricks to the trade (If you think Adventure travel is easy...think again! Is it worth it? Absolutely!)

 I had my Iphone unlocked so that I would be able to purchase a Spanish SIM card for my phone while there (easy call to Verizon hooked me up.) Since I was planning on being in Spain for 3 months I felt it was important for me to have a phone number and wifi internet access on my device. I hear they are working on doing a SIM card that works all over Europe. (Mine only worked in Spain and cut off when I crossed the boarder into Portugal, France and Morocco.)

I also browsed at what were top selling items for travelers on Amazon and was surprised to read so many great reviews on Packing Cubes. I ordered some to try out... and let's just say... I won't be traveling without them again! LOVE! You can easily use them to compartmentalize your clothing, toiletries, souvenirs etc. You can pre plan all that you will need for one day and put it into one cube. I also liked not having to pack and repack anytime I opened my suitcase.

Comments